2018 Summer Seminar in Classical Liberal Ideas
Classical Liberalism in Philosophy, Economics, and Politics
Spend one week in Prague, Czech Republic, discussing and studying Classical Liberal ideas and their application in today's world. In partnership with the Cevro Institute, a Czech-based private university, the program brings together students from across the U.S. and Europe to study big ideas in the history of economics and philosophy with leading American and Czech academics and faculty.
The 2018 Workshop in Classical Liberal Ideas will be an intensive, week-long survey of philosophical, economic, and political ideas that have played key roles in the history and development of classical liberalism. The Workshop will consist of two, 2.5-hour sessions most days, comprising an hour of lecture and 90 minutes of discussion. There is ample time for exploring the beauty, history, art, and energy of Prague.
Workshop faculty include:
- Prof. Richard Vedder, Emeritus Professor of Economics, Ohio University, and founder and President of the Center for College Affordability and Productivity.
- Prof. Josef Šima, President of CEVRO Institut, Prague
- Prof. Mark LeBar, Professor of Philosophy, Florida State University
This year's workshop will run from July 16-20, 2018. The Participation Fee for the Workshop is $1000 USD, and includes:
- Airfare (rates based on airfares from Columbus, OH, and Tallahassee, FL; surcharges may apply at other points of origin)
- Lodging at a central Prague hotel (hostel-style arrangements, with up to 8 students per room)
- Meal allowance (Lodging includes breakfast, and a number of meals will be provides as well)
While topics may vary, the 2018 program will be roughly similar to that of the 2017 workshop. Here's an updated schedule.
Endorsements from the previous years:
- “A great opportunity to seriously discuss ideas while widening one’s academic and cultural horizons.”
- “I feel as if the program challenged my ideas and views as well as motivating me to want to gain more knowledge on these subjects. It definitely made me think critically often which is what I came for. ”
- “Thanks for a great program! I really liked the discussion format--small groups and Q+A. It’s extremely useful how the program promotes free and civil discussion of significant issues. ”
- “I love that this program exists. It is important for young adults and teens from everywhere to understand the world of politics, economics, money, logic, and the laws that govern them. THANK YOU!”
Seminar cost: $1000 (includes airfare from/to Columbus, OH, or Tallahassee, FL. Airfares from other locations or to waypoints other than Prague may require a surcharge.)
Applications (with deposits) due:
March 15, 2018 April 1, 2018
Full balances for accepted students due: April 15, 2018